moved or deleted files keep coming back

Get help for specific problems

Evelien_Alinco

We are a team of 10 designers, each with our own projects. we design localy on our laptop and synchronise with the server. We use synchtoy in both directions (as we sometimes start form server with drawing from client) However if I delete or move a file in my folder and someone else synch's the synctoy will just add/copy the deleted or moved files back. I go nuts if 3 days later I open my folder and I see my deleted drawing back again because it was originaly copied to my collegues local file. What should I adjust of is it even avoidable?

Plerry

If you use synchtoy (SyncToy?), why then post in the FreeFileSync forum?

Evelien_Alinco

If you use synchtoy (SyncToy?), why then post in the FreeFileSync forum? Plerry, 29 Sep 2022, 09:50
sorry freefile synch I mean, old habbit

Plerry

From your description, it seems you are using the FreeFileSync (FFS) Two-way sync variant.
If so, FFS should detect moved, renamed and deleted files, and treat those accordingly.
See https://freefilesync.org/manual.php?topic=synchronization-settings , particularly also the section "Detect Moved Files".

But also be aware of the notes related to that section.
If either your client machines and/or your server does not have (across-session) stable file-IDs, you are at a loss.

You should also make sure that no two FFS syncs run simultaneously against the server.
By default this is the case, but perhaps you changed this.
See LockDirectoriesDuringSync in https://freefilesync.org/manual.php?topic=expert-settings

xCSxXenon

It actually sounds more like they aren't using two-way, when they should be

Evelien_Alinco

It actually sounds more like they aren't using two-way, when they should be xCSxXenon, 29 Sep 2022, 14:00
We are using two-way

xCSxXenon

Not every one is then