Updates files (target) renamed on source

Discuss new features and functions

papas

Hi,
I'm using FFS to do a one way update.

Source Folder (with subfolders and files) >> Target Folder (with same subfolder and file structure)

This is for family photos and video, backup.

Sometimes, I will rename a file in the source folder to give it some key words, however when I run ffs, instead of updating the file in the target, it creates a new file with the changed name, essentially I get the file duplicated.

Is there a way around this? Should I use MIRROR instead of UPDATE?

If I have a file on the target, once which I've deleted on the source, I don't want it deleted from the target the next time I run the update. My concern is that MIRROR will do that.

Thanks

Plerry

> If I have a file on the target, once which I've deleted on the source, I don't want it deleted from the target the next time I run the update. My concern is that MIRROR will do that.

You should then use the Update sync variant, not the Mirror variant.
The Update sync variant leaves any file that pre-exists in your "target" location intact, even if such file does not, or no longer exist in the "source" location.

> Sometimes, I will rename a file in the source folder to give it some key words, however when I run ffs, instead of updating the file in the target, it creates a new file with the changed name, essentially I get the file duplicated.

You should then checkmark the Detect Moved Files option box in your Synchronization Settings (F8).
See here.
Make sure to also read the text and notes on Detect Moved Files.

papas

I did read that "Detect moved files" option may work for this case in another thread, the problem is that this option is only available when using MIRROR, when using UPDATE this option is not available. So that won't work for me.

There is also the option of comparing using "file time and size" or "file content". I use the first option, and not sure if the latter option would work here for renamed files, I'm guessing it would but would take considerably longer time... does this time decrease after the first run (i.e. it creates some database, or does it check file content each time)?

Plerry

> ... the problem is that this option is only available when using MIRROR, when using UPDATE this option is not available.

I was aware that "Detect moved files" does not work for some Custom sync variants.
Not that this is also the case for the Update variant. Sorry for that.

> ... does it check file content each time?

Comparing by content happens every time you run a Compare in FFS.

xCSxXenon

Sounds like what you want isn't possible. When you rename the file, FFS doesn't currently have a way to know that it is a renamed file versus a new one along with one that was deleted
Site Admin

Zenju

This issue has been "fixed" in the next FreeFileSync version by providing a proper DB-based "update" variant!
FreeFileSync 13.0
-----------------
Detect moved files with "Update" sync variant (requires sync.ffs_db files)
See also: viewtopic.php?t=10594