How to Sync-as-Selected ?

Get help for specific problems

hiwire03

There are two identical folder tree structures say Folder A and Folder B. Deep within the tree from multiple locations of Folder A, requirement is to sync multiple file into the same exact locations (mirror) under Folder B.

Using FreeFileSync, the present approach is to compare the folders at the top level, initially select 'Do nothing' for all as the default action. Subsequently select the files that need to be sync and mark them as 'Update/Add'.

The limitation of this approach is
(a) All the files need to be viewed in the list within the FreeFileSync application only from where they need to be first selected then marked to be copied.
(b) Follows the principle of 'first-exclude then include' and is a manual and tedious process.

**Desired approach**
Should be able to select files from any path within Folder A and mark them for sync to Folder B directly from the Windows File Explorer. The files should then sync into Folder B into the corresponding (mirror) folder. Should follow the principal of sync-as-selected.

Plerry

From your description, there seem to be two options for simplification.
1) Use multiple left-right folder pairs
2) Use the Include and/or Exclude Filter
Or use a combination of 1) and 2)

Ad 1)
Instead of using a single left-right pair FolderA and FolderB, use multiple left-right folder pairs.
Those multiple pairs would then be the corresponding folder pairs deeper within FolderA and FolderB that actually need to be synced.

Ad 2)
By using the Include and/or Exclude Filter, you can define which subfolders of FolderA and FolderB need to be Included in the sync, or conversely, which subfolders need to be Excluded from the sync, whichever is more convenient for your use case.
You can do so by editing the Include and/or Exclude Filter manually, or by running a Compare and the Include and/or Exclude whichever subfolders or files that need to be included or excluded via a right-click on that/those folders and/or files.

After you have "developed" a properly working sync configuration, you can then save that configuration as a *.ffs_gui (or *.ffs_batch) file for later re-use. Something that is not possible if you have selected "do nothing" for part of your files or folders.

hiwire03

Well, this is exactly what I am presently doing. Again like I said, it is a manual and tedious process.

Plerry

You contradict yourself. You wrote:
> Using FreeFileSync, the present approach is to compare the folders at the top level, initially select 'Do nothing' for all as the default action. Subsequently select the files that need to be sync and mark them as 'Update/Add'.

That is a completely different approach than using multiple folder pairs or using the Include/Exclude Filter, and is an approach that can not be saved for later re-use.

hiwire03

Well, while I compare the folders at the top level, I used the directory listing at the bottom left panel to apply the rules you have quoted from my initial message.

xCSxXenon

Well, while I compare the folders at the top level, I used the directory listing at the bottom left panel to apply the rules you have quoted from my initial message. hiwire03, 25 Oct 2022, 15:56
Which is not what he suggested to do to fix the problem