Feature Request: Sync only files newer than a date

Discuss new features and functions

klaus_kraemer

I am using FreeFileSync for backups.

I am using also the cloud and there are some problems with storage size.

As I have monthly backups on harddisks for 6 months back and a cloud backup for 2 months back. I miss a function to only sync and store files which are newer than or have been changed within e.g. 3 months to have an overlap.

This would save lots of space in the cloud and also lots of traffic.

To achieve this, filters like delete files older than x days, sync files newer than y days could help.

I would be glad to have something like that.

klaus_kraemer

Thanks@ Plerry.

I found the timespan Filter now (it looks quite different compared to the screenshot in your link).

It's not the solution for my problem. To save cloud storage in the mirrored backup (target) folder, files older than the given timespan should be removed from the mirrored target folder. Older files are then already included in the bigger backups or in the monthly harddisks.

My backup strategy is 7 single days, week 1 to week 5, 2 months (all in the cloud) and 5 Harddisk with monthly backups. Cloud backup is automatically started during nighttime from a 24/7 running computer.

So a timespan of 3 months for dayly and weekly backups would be more than sufficient and older files could be removed from these dayly/monthly mirrors. Leaving too old files in the cloud mirrors costs too much space and unnecessary money.

xCSxXenon

You would have to set up directories that correspond to different timespans. You can then probably utilize the macros in FFS to decide what to do from there.

https://freefilesync.org/manual.php?topic=macros

You could then have another sync that only deletes the directories older than x