Error: Cannot write modification time - Android

Get help for specific problems

CaptTom

Trying to sync between my Windows 10 laptop and my Galaxy Tab A8 via USB. I get the following error:
Cannot write modification time of "mtp:\Galaxy Tab A8\SD card\[filename]".
Setting the modification time (12/28/2022 5:57:16 PM) was silently ignored by the device (1/5/2023 8:48:59 AM).
I don't get this error when I sync to my Android phone, a Moto g(7). I'm running FreeFileSync 11.29.

Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?

therube

(I know nothing of phones, but I'll guess that you're not doing anything wrong, simply that the A8 does not support the concept of "modification time".)

CaptTom

(I know nothing of phones, but I'll guess that you're not doing anything wrong, simply that the A8 does not support the concept of "modification time".) therube, 05 Jan 2023, 16:43
Thank you, maybe it's just not possible. Odd that it works with other Android devices though. I'd think the file system at least would be the same.

When I use a file management app, it does show a file modified date/time, but in this case it's the time when FreeFileSync last copied it there, not the time the file was last modified on the laptop. Obviously this makes synchronizing difficult. If I wanted to copy the whole directory over I could do that without this app.

I'm assuming FreeFileSync copies the file, which the Android file system creates with the current time in the file modified field, then FreeFileSync attempts to update it with the "right" file modified time from the original file. Presumably that step is what's failing, if I'm interpreting this correctly.

xCSxXenon

Does this happen with all files?
I've never had timestamps work on my Android device. I had to switch to file size for comparison and that has been fine for my use

CaptTom

Yes, all files on this device. It's worked fine on other Android devices for years. Unfortunately file size wouldn't work for my purposes. I was hoping it was just some permission or something I could turn on.

xballiet

I think this has something to do with Samsung, because it worked on my Huawei Mate 9 until it passed away recently and now I have the exact same problem with my Samsung A13.

ExeCodgers

Greetings

Having just purchased a Samsung Galaxy Tab S8+ (Android 13) I am encountering the same problem with changes to modification date when copy/paste picture or dragging files from Windows 10 PC using Explorer and connection to tablet using USB-C cable. I have the same error message as CaptTom if using FFSync.

However, I can drag or copy/paste files from Explorer to MyPhoneExplorer app on the tablet and the transfer works correctly maintaining the original modification date but this is not a great solution and would prefer to use FFSync.

Contacting Samsung UK support earlier today didn't result in a solution so just enquiring whether this forum has turned up a solution since the original posting in January?

CaptTom

I did a lot of searching and still no answers, just others asking the same question.

My workaround has been to set FFSync to only copy files to the Android device which are newer on the laptop. I rarely update files on the phone or tablet, and when I do I can copy them back to the laptop individually. Not ideal, but frankly it doesn't seem like this is going to ever get solved.

ExeCodgers

I agree it's not a satisfactory situation and Samsung needs to issue a software change to resolve the problem.

As my photo library is in excess of 60,000 images I need to use FFSync set to date/time rather than file size as some image modifications don't result in file size changes. As a workaround I've now been forced to place all images on the SD Card and remove that to a card reader each time I update the library. This is not what I had in mind when purchasing the more expensive Galaxy Tab S8+ with 256GB internal storage so I could make full use of that rather than on SD Card.

For all other PC to tablet files that need to be synchronised (ie: Outlook-Calendar/Documents) I use MyPhoneExplorer app as that works OK.

CaptTom

I agree that Samsung is the problem. It seems very odd to selectively block changing the date and time but allow overwriting and deleting files. I wonder what problem they were trying to solve.

Thanks for pointing me to MyPhoneExplorer. That seems like a viable option because in has an app running on the phone or tablet.

Does that mean it can restore the correct modified date/time on files copied to the Android device?

ExeCodgers

Whatever the reason I feel it shouldn't be rocket science for a company like Samsung to fix or explain to customers why this situation prevails.

I've been very pleased with MPE app and have used it for many years now. It works a treat between PC and android devices. I can confirm that when synchronising files between Windows10 and my Tab S8+ the original modified date of each file is preserved when the file is copied to the tablet, unlike the usual method as mentioned in my post of 5 June. The only reason I don't use this method for image syncing is my library is too big and the transfer rate with MPE is slower. However, for all other files like PDF/XLS/DOC/email I ever carry on the tablet MPE does the job. Give it a try.

I don't suppose it makes any difference which region you purchased your tablet/phone but this has been my experience with mine purchased and used in the UK.