Time / data transferred delay feature

Discuss new features and functions

bogdy

Hi. Could you please add (general) time / data transferred (or even temperature) based delay feature? My long term experience is that some hard drives just get hot after copying several hundreds GBs even in open hard drive dock and I have to pause the process to cool down the drive for a while otherwise transfer speed downs to zero or even the process freezes. I know system solution would be the active HDD cooling but it's not always possible in some consumer setups or scenarios. Thank you.

therube

even in open hard drive dock
With recent heat here, I found that the open HDD dock actually ran hotter then putting the same drive in a caddy, into a drive bay in the computer itself.

As it was, I got a new HDD that I threw into a dock, & as I'm copying files to it, it disappeared.
And I'm thinking, wonderful, a bad drive. But it was not the drive (seemingly), but rather heat (seemingly) - even in an open dock. (Might also ? have to do with vibration, possibly, as in simply "sitting" in the dock allowed for vibration - in the dock itself, where screwed into the caddy, there is no vibration.)

Temps were lower in the caddy in the computer, then in the dock.
And even during extended periods when the drive wasn't being accessed, still temps were not dropping (in any meaningful manner).

(Also found out that my, what is it WDC "easydrive" or some such, runs HOT, ~50C hot - all the time, which can't be good for longevity.)