Untranslated fields

Report translation and localization issues

jack31

Hi there,

Just a few words :
- First to say how useful FFS is (discovered it today and already being a fan) !
- Also to bring to your knowledge that v6.0 seems to have some untranslated fields (minor bugs).
For instance, the 2 items in the contextuel menu customisation (General Settings) remain as shown in the <source> part of the language file, despite the <target> part has the proper translation. I checked for French and German as those are the 2 only languages I speak in addition to English.

There are maybe a few others that I missed...

Having said that, FFS is really amazing : great job, folks, really appreciated.

Warmest regards,
Jack

jack31

Sorry gents : replying to myself.
Actually, I just discoverd that those fields can be edited in the User Interface itself (description part included). It's a bit strange to also get it in the language file but well, I understand that it is meant for restoring the default values, right ?

Cheers,
Jack
Site Admin

Zenju

These fields have somewhat strange semantics. On the one hand they are user-defined data and can be changed via global settings. On the other hand, if left at the default, they are supposed to be translated into the currently active language. Otherwise users would be confused, that after a language switch the part of the context menu where these strings are used, does not also switch language. Therefore FreeFileSync tries to translate them on demand, i.e. when the context menu is shown.
Site Admin

Zenju

Okay, I've found a solution for this anomaly: The user-defined description texts are translated when the global settings dialog is shown, and back-translated into english when the dialog is confirmed, so that the english texts are stored in GlobalSettings.xml which will then show the translated descriptions in the main dialog context menu depending on the currently selected language. As soon as the user changes any of these default texts in any way, the value will be hard-coded into GlobalSettings.xml and naturally not be translated anymore - shouldn't come as a surprise to the user:

[404, Invalid URL: http://freefilesync.sourceforge.net/FreeFileSync_6.2_beta_Windows_Setup.exe]