Can't update modification date on Android

Get help for specific problems

jacksonmacd

Just downloaded and installed v 9.0. Synchronization worked OK from PC to USB-connected Android device. At the completion of the sync, this error message was displayed for all files in the sync.

Cannot write modification time of "mtp:\Moto G Play\Transcend SD card\Android\data\com.mapfactor.navigator\files\navigator\data\canada_alberta_osm.mca.ffs_tmp".
IPortableDeviceProperties::SetValues failed for WPD_OBJECT_DATE_MODIFIED.
HRESULT: 0x80070005, Access is denied.

Cannot write modification time of "mtp:\Moto G Play\Transcend SD card\Android\data\com.mapfactor.navigator\files\navigator\data\canada_british_columbia_osm.mca.ffs_tmp".
IPortableDeviceProperties::SetValues failed for WPD_OBJECT_DATE_MODIFIED.
HRESULT: 0x80070005, Access is denied.

<etc>.....

The "compare" screen that appears automatically at the completion of the sync shows that there are no differences between the Source and the Destination folders. However, when I re-select the job from the "sessions" window and click the Compare button, then all files are shown in the comparison list (excluding the Equals files). Every file in the Destination window is shown with the current time instead of the original file-creation date as shown in the Source window. File sizes are identical, so I suspect that the files HAVE been copied, but their date is incorrect, as suggested by the error message.
Site Admin

Zenju

Inability to store specific modification times is a known limitation of Android. However this is a warning only, so the files were copied correctly otherwise.

matthelm

This is a issue with Android. It's been fixed, but it'll be Android 8 at least before it's fixed. You can get around it, but you, but it requires root plus other things.

jacksonmacd

OK
Don't recall seeing this warning previously, so I thought something had changed with the newest version. I will just ignore the warning.

Giangi

It's been fixed, but it'll be Android 8 at least before it's fixed.matthelm, 30 Apr 2017, 00:09
I would use "It should be fixed on Android 8"... Basically it will be completely rewritten the lower layer for managing external memory, but if the connection protocol will still be MTP I would wait to see with my own eyes if the problem will be finally solved! :-(

negusm

It's been fixed, but it'll be Android 8 at least before it's fixed.matthelm, 30 Apr 2017, 00:09
I would use "It should be fixed on Android 8"... Basically it will be completely rewritten the lower layer for managing external memory, but if the connection protocol will still be MTP I would wait to see with my own eyes if the problem will be finally solved! :-( Giangi, 31 May 2017, 13:22
I have this same error on an LG G5 with Android 8.0.0. No it's not fixed yet. At least not for my device.

DHG

It's May of 2022 and it still isn't fixed.

xCSxXenon

Have you provided feedback to Google?

DHG

Have you provided feedback to Google? xCSxXenon, 03 May 2022, 17:13
No but I was offered a work around in this thread

viewtopic.php?p=33520#p33520

How exactly would I go about contacting Google with the issue?