file overwrite

Get help for specific problems

bluecanvas

I am using freefilesync and realtimesync very well.
Thank you very much!

The situation I am currently using
1. File 123 in folder "aaa" is automatically created every 10 minutes
2. Continuously backing up the File 123 from the aaa folder to bbb folder.
3. This will cause the file to continue to be overwritten
In progress, Is the way to automatically saved under a different name or is there another way?

Plerry

I will assume step 2) is performed by FFS?
For step 3) and the question following step 3) it seems like you want to retain (previous) versions of File 123.
In FFS, you can use Versioning for this.
This will move a previous version of File 123 in your backup location to your specified versioning location, if necessary adding a date-suffix to the file-name, and write the new version to your backaup location as File 123.

xCSxXenon

RTS has an idle time setting that should stop any changes from occurring while a previous session is syncing

bluecanvas

It's Working! I'm glad you can find a good function!

In the description, it is said that a file is created every 10 minutes, but the file is actually created irregularly.

1. Is there a way to check the real-time function more often?
2. Is there any way to dismiss the confirmation log window?
Last edited by bluecanvas on 25 Jun 2020, 07:05, edited 2 times in total.

bluecanvas

I will assume step 2) is performed by FFS?
For step 3) and the question following step 3) it seems like you want to retain (previous) versions of File 123.
In FFS, you can use Versioning for this.
This will move a previous version of File 123 in your backup location to your specified versioning location, if necessary adding a date-suffix to the file-name, and write the new version to your backaup location as File 123. Plerry, 24 Jun 2020, 13:58

It's Working! I'm glad you can find a good function!

In the description, it is said that a file is created every 10 minutes, but the file is actually created irregularly.

1. Is there a way to check the real-time function more often?
2. Is there any way to dismiss the confirmation log window?
Last edited by bluecanvas on 25 Jun 2020, 07:06, edited 1 time in total.

bluecanvas

RTS has an idle time setting that should stop any changes from occurring while a previous session is syncing xCSxXenon, 24 Jun 2020, 20:40

Is it the smiller as Plerry's description?

Plerry

Is it the smiller as Plerry's description?bluecanvas, 25 Jun 2020, 07:06
I suppose you meant to ask "is it similar to" ...
My suggestion to use the FFS Versioning feature relates to bluecanvas's question regarding a possibility of automatically saving the referred to file under a different name.

Although not part of the inital question, xCSxXenon's reaction is about using RTS as a simple way to automatically launch FFS every time the referred to file is changed, which obviously is a very good suggestion.
You should then prefereably limit the scope of the RTS monitored folder(s) to the absolute minimum: only the folder to which the file File 123 is written (apparently irregularly). And preferably said folder has no sub-folders and is not written to frequently other than in the form of File 123.

In any case, as the FFS job has to run relatively frequently, you preferably use FFS's Include Filter to only include the file File 123. This should prevent that FFS "wastes" time on Comparing other contents (if any), and makes FFS finish fast, ready to be launched again.

Re-reading the inital question:
If it was not about saving under a different name for the purpose of retaining (at least some) previous versions, but rather simply copying the file to the backup location under a (fixed) other name:
Then you may use RTS to not launch FFS, but rather a direct command to copy file File 123 in its source location to e.g. File 456 in its backup location.
Something like an RTS command line
copy "[path-to-File123]\File 123" "[path-to-backuplocation]\File 456"
possibly using appropriate command line options for your copy command.

bluecanvas

Is it the smiller as Plerry's description?bluecanvas, 25 Jun 2020, 07:06
I suppose you meant to ask "is it similar to" ...
My suggestion to use the FFS Versioning feature relates to bluecanvas's question regarding a possibility of automatically saving the referred to file under a different name.

Although not part of the inital question, xCSxXenon's reaction is about using RTS as a simple way to automatically launch FFS every time the referred to file is changed, which obviously is a very good suggestion.
You should then prefereably limit the scope of the RTS monitored folder(s) to the absolute minimum: only the folder to which the file File 123 is written (apparently irregularly). And preferably said folder has no sub-folders and is not written to frequently other than in the form of File 123.

In any case, as the FFS job has to run relatively frequently, you preferably use FFS's Include Filter to only include the file File 123. This should prevent that FFS "wastes" time on Comparing other contents (if any), and makes FFS finish fast, ready to be launched again.

Re-reading the inital question:
If it was not about saving under a different name for the purpose of retaining (at least some) previous versions, but rather simply copying the file to the backup location under a (fixed) other name:
Then you may use RTS to not launch FFS, but rather a direct command to copy file File 123 in its source location to e.g. File 456 in its backup location.
possibly using appropriate command line options for your copy command. Plerry, 25 Jun 2020, 08:19

As you tell me, you can save the same files in chronological order using File Versioning! Thank you!!!

However, it was not monitored in real time, so the monitoring time was set to 0 in RTS, and versioning is saved as a damaged file. Is it wrong to set the monitoring time of RTS to 0?

Also
possibly using appropriate command line options for your copy command.

I didn't understand about how to setting command line.

Plerry

Note that RTS has an idle time, not a delay time or monitoring time.
See here and here.
I am not sure what exactly happens when setting the idle time to zero, but it seems leaving at the default 10 seconds should normally be pretty OK.
I didn't understand about how to setting command line.
The manual page about RTS in both images shows the Command Line (close to the bottom). Instead of (by default) invoking FFS (as shown), one may specify any command to be executed upon detecting a change in the RTS monitored folder(s), e.g the command shown in my earlier reply.