ENOENT: No such file or directory [mkdir]

Discuss new features and functions

hermanthemexican

Hello, can anyone explain what this means, both directories are there, but I keep finding this error message.
Re: ENOENT: No such file or directory [mkdir]

Thanks.

therube

While both directories (& I'll suppose you are meaning the basename directory), how about the reset of the parts of the directory paths?

Like if you have:
/tmp/music/mymusicdir
&
/out/musiK/mymusicdir

do both /tmp & /out & /music & /musiK all also exist?

(Kind of wouldn't make sense that they wouldn't but you never know.)

Anyhow, describe your sync; comparison & sync types.
And what are you left & right directories?
Anything odd in the directory names.
Do both exist or are you wanting, expecting something on the right to be created?
OS & what are you syncing to?

hermanthemexican

@therube, thank you for your response, I have a lot to learn.
I am backing up on a mac 11.6 Big Sur, from a softraid array attached to it, to another external drive, using update mode.

The folder being backed up is a big folder with a lot of stuff in it. I realize I have changed placement of files and/or, changed names of folders within that big folder, and my lack of understanding, prevents me from 'resetting' the paths, or pointing the backup folder to the new location/name of the original.

I'd be grateful if there was an article anywhere to read about this, I have had this problem for a while.

xCSxXenon

Good start:
https://freefilesync.org/manual.php
Are you typing in the locations manually or clicking 'Browse' in FFS?

hermanthemexican

Hello, I don't know enough of how to respond properly, i'll do my best, please bear with me.
do both /tmp & /out & /music & /musiK all also exist?
Yes, they both exist.
Anyhow, describe your sync; comparison & sync types.
I am syncing a large folder in an external drive onto another folder of the same name in another external drive. The settings are a time and size comparison, synchronizing with Update mode.

I know more than one of these ENOENT instances, have happened when I have changed a folder location, but I do not know how to solve the problem. i.e. what is the correct protocol for changing a folder location or renaming so FFS understands where it is.
Many whitespaceconflict folders have been generated.
And what are you left & right directories?
I am not sure how to respond to this, it is a longish cascade of nested folders, which until recently, I had no problem matching thanks to FFS, it has only been until recently that this started happening.
OS & what are you syncing to?
I am running Big Sur on a Mac mini 11.6.
Do both exist or are you wanting, expecting something on the right to be created?
Yes, I am expecting that whatever changed on the left, be created on the right.

I appreciate your response or any suggestion as to articles to read. I have read the instructions of the software as someone else suggested, but I am sure I do not understand as much as I'd like to.
I am including a screenshot of the Overview.

Thank you.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-11-08 at 5.51.48 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-08 at 5.51.48 PM.png (150.66 KiB) Viewed 1858 times