Best setup for sync across external drives

Get help for specific problems

daveman

Hi there,

I am trying to backup a large RAID System (30 TB) across two 18TB hard drives. New directories are being added all the time. Currently all files are multiple subdirectories. What would be the best way to copy across two drives. for example, main directory and all subdirectories that start with A - M and then all directories from N - Z, knowing that new directories will be added.

Is thera a macro that can do this?

Advice would be appreciated

dave

therube

I'd think that is something you've got to figure out based on your data sets.

As it is, you're not likely to have much space left on the 2 18's (assuming the 30 is basically full).
So look at your 30, & see how you can logically separate it into 15 & 15.

So you've got to know how much space particular trees are using, plus anticipated new files, & then see if all (half) of that will (still fit) into an 18.

You can't simply say A-M, N-Z without knowing how much space they're utilizing & expected growth of each.
(Plus you've disregarded 0-9 & possibly more too ;-).)

On my end, I have 1 physical drive, 1 TB, split into two volumes, 863 & 90 GB.
My usage is 146 & 39 GB respectively.

So if I had two (lets say) 200 GB drives to back up onto, I could back up each volume onto a single drive. But assuming my 146 will grow in the near future, to >200 GB, it might make more sense to back up only some of the 146 to one of the 200's & the remainder of the 146, plus the 39 to the second 200.

Now how to split that 146... I'd have to analyze what I've got there & expected growths & how things are laid out to make the splitting as easy as possible.

daveman

Hi there,

Thanks for your response. I guess what I was thinking about is some sort of automated approach to back up directories A - M (plus directories that start with numbers) onto Drive A and the rest onto Drive B. I know that sizes will change and am less worried about that. The question was more about how to setup FFS to actually do this and to also take into account new subdirectories...

I am assuming this could somehow be done via filters?

xCSxXenon

You would just need two folders pairs, same source but different destinations of course. One would have exclusions set up for items that start with n-z and the other would be excluding 0-m

daveman

Hi there, Thanks for your response.

can you tell me exactly how to do this?

xCSxXenon