Would it be possible to just compare based on file name, and completely ignore file content?

Discuss new features and functions

I have a folder I want to sync regularly that contains hashed zip file names, if the zip has the same name, it is the same file, so I dont want to look inside the zip, and I dont want to check the size or time of the zip. Would there be any way to do this? could this be added?

xCSxXenon

So you want it to copy literally every file every sync?
That makes no sense

That makes no sense xCSxXenon, 14 Sep 2022, 16:36
Huh?? where did you get that idea? (please explain, I am not sure you are even commenting on the right post you have it so wrong)
I want to sync any different file, but there is no reason to check contents or size since the name will change with either of those differences. (if the content of the file changes, the name of the file will be different, therefore I dont need to check content/size) I am simply checking for new files being added to the folder.
I have already made a simple implementation in python anyway, it should only need to copy over 2 or 3 files every time it runs.

Plerry

That is not a feature supported by FreeFileSync (FFS).
(I am not developer, but my guess is, it will not be added any time soon ...)

> ... and I dont want to check the size or time of the zip.
Can you explain why?
Can size and/or time of zip-files of the same name and content be different in your setup?
If not, there does not seem to be a reason not to use the comparison on file name, size and date already available in FFS. This is almost equally fast as a comparison purely based on file name would be.

xCSxXenon

That makes no sense xCSxXenon, 14 Sep 2022, 16:36
Huh?? where did you get that idea? (please explain, I am not sure you are even commenting on the right post you have it so wrong)
I want to sync any different file, but there is no reason to check contents or size since the name will change with either of those differences. (if the content of the file changes, the name of the file will be different, therefore I dont need to check content/size) I am simply checking for new files being added to the folder.
I have already made a simple implementation in python anyway, it should only need to copy over 2 or 3 files every time it runs. 959, 15 Sep 2022, 02:40
My brain must have turned off! I understand now. In your case, as you have noticed already, you don't need FFS to do this. I would have suggested a cmd utility to do what you are wanting and seems you have gone that route!

therube

I have a folder I want to sync regularly
What type of sync?

If an Update sync...

What if you were to set...

Comparison: File size
Filter: Minimum 0 Byte, Maximum 99999 MB

Would that accomplish a "name only" comparison?

With that, would any newly named file on the left not update to the right?

---

Or from a command-line...

FFC (Fast File Copy) (or similar).
FFC.exe  -k   C:\TMP\BRU\BRC\X\*  C:\TMP\BRU\BRC\ZZ
-k     skip existing files
Copy any new files from X to ZZ.

with ffs it takes like 40 seconds to do a comparison as it tries to look at contents (even with size only, it looks at the contents of zip files for some reason) where I can do the same with python and it takes no more than a millisecond. I wont be using FFS for this, but it would be a nice feature to have

therube

it looks at the contents of zip files for some reason
AFAIK, there is no "zip" file "handling" in FFS.
A "zip" should be treated as a "file", no more, no less.

Perhaps your antivirus is interfering in this situation?
(With python, who knows, maybe it locks the file, such that the A/V is unable to scan the .zip contents?)

it looks at the contents of zip files for some reason
AFAIK, there is no "zip" file "handling" in FFS.
A "zip" should be treated as a "file", no more, no less.

Perhaps your antivirus is interfering in this situation?
(With python, who knows, maybe it locks the file, such that the A/V is unable to scan the .zip contents?) therube, 19 Sep 2022, 15:51
Ahh, apparently the filter setting only applies to synchronization, it doesnt affect scanning (I set it to only include .zip files, but apparently that only eliminates differences AFTERWARD and not before scanning, so it still has to scan every file, which is super inefficient)
The reason I thought it was scanning the zip files is because the files are zip caches that re extracted into the same directory, my brain just decided to not comprehend the possibility that it was scanning everything

Plerry

Well, FFS first needs to read the file names, dates and sizes, before it is able to apply its Include and/or Exclude Filter rules based on file name or path, file size and/or file age.
How else would FFS be able to filter on said criteria?